Laerdal Plenary Session: Using xAPI to Collect Learning Data from Simulations from Chad Jackson
Wednesday, May 20, 2020
At SimGHOSTS 2018 USA, returning Gold Sponsor Laerdal Medical provided support for a special plenary address from Chad Jackson MS, RRT, FCCP, Vice President of Innovation and Development, American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) will provide the Laerdal sponsored plenary session "Using xAPI to Collect Learning Data from Simulations". Laerdal Medical are long time supporters of SimGHOSTS, sponsoring every SimGHOSTS USA event since 2013 including our Australia and UK events.
In this address, Chad discussed how CHEST uses xAPI for their live, Difficult Airway Management course. During that course, physicians practice intubation techniques on high-fidelity medical simulators as instructors observe how they perform the procedure via a checklist on an iPad. Previously, only the data from the iPad was transferred to the physician’s transcript in the LMS, and the data stored in the mannequin was unusable. Using xAPI, the simulator’s data was able to be transferred to the LMS using Watershed’s learning record store (LRS). During the session, Chad shared the technical details, best practices, and lessons learned from CHEST’s experience with xAPI.
Notes from Chad's Talk
- xAPI stands for "Experience Application Program Interface" which means a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. Basically, an API specifies how software components should interact. Additionally, APIs are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components. Think of it as the "universal power plug" to make standardized communication protocol specifications used by e-learning software.
- You can pull data from multiple sources like: Verb, Actor, and Object of the programming code.
- Term: ADL means Advanced Distributed Language, common language passed.
- Term: API means Application Packet Interface
- Term: LRS means Learning Record Store - (MyLRS.com) - uses the same language for the API.
- Term: Watershed (time start and stop points) and pulled the verbs as a software bridge.
- Grading automatically on iPAD based on information provided from simulator
- eLearning with SCORM packaging
- xAPI verb and activity statements can be recorded and sent.
- Creates an application by using checklist to measure student performance.
About Chad Jackson
Chad provides leadership and guidance to the development, direction, coordination and management of all innovation activities at CHEST. This includes promoting innovation activities across the entire organization including discovering, prototyping, incubating and accelerating offerings that create opportunities for CHEST. He contributes to the CHEST mission through the development of these leading edge educational activities, products and programs that enhance the member and organization experience. These activities, experiences and products may include developing international training programs, corporate innovations, novel medical product development as well as other business opportunities for CHEST.
About Laerdal Medical
Laerdal Medical is dedicated to helping save lives with product solutions, services, and system solutions that support the Chain of Survival. The Good Samaritan logo symbolizes our commitment to every health professional and volunteer who has learned how to save the life of a family member, friend, or stranger in need.The vision of Laerdal is that no-one should die or be disabled unnecessarily during birth or from sudden illness or trauma.
Since its creation of the pioneering, and now world famous CPR practise manikin in 1960, the Resusci Anne; many more innovative products have followed to improve and support education for Healthcare Professionals around the world, as well as facilitate the spread of CPR knowledge and skills to the would be Samaritan in the wider lay community. Laerdal has developed breakthrough technologies that have helped to define its portfolio of simulation, micro-simulation, virtual reality, automated external defibrillators and emergency therapeutic products as reputable market leaders. Other well-known brands include SimMan,SimBaby, SimNewB, HeartStart, Q-CPR, Stifneck, the Pocket Mask and BaXstrap.
To learn more, visit the Laerdal Medical website